Support HR630 and S316
Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR) have introduced legislation which addresses many of the problems currently facing the U.S. Postal Service. Most importantly, the bills introduced in both the House and the Senate would provide significant financial relief to the Postal Service by ending the unfair, unnecessary and unprecedented requirement that it pre-fund a large share of the costs of retiree health benefits in a 10-year period. If enacted, the "Postal Service Protection Act" would:
1. Fix the Postal Service’s immediate financial crisis by ending the mandate that requires the USPS to pre-fund healthcare benefits for future retirees – a burden no other government agency or private company bears.
2. Allow the Postal Service to recover over-payments the USPS made to federal pension plans;
3. Re-establish overnight delivery standards for first-class mail, which would ensure the timely delivery of mail, help keep mail processing facilities open, and protect jobs;
4. Protect six-day delivery;
5. Allow the USPS to develop new products and services that would generate new sources of revenue, and
6. Protect rural post offices by giving give the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) binding authority to prevent post offices from being closed based on the effect on the community and the effect on the employees.
Please immediately contact your U.S. Representative and both Senators to urge them to cosponsor and work for passage of these important bills.